Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Towards Citizenship > US Citizenship and its issues
Click to log in with Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2012, 08:42 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
ing69 is on a distinguished road
Question REALLY NEED HELP! Will I loose green card if keep travelling abroad?

I arrived in the US with a LB-1 Visas in January 2004 (French)
Got the Green card on the 1st May 2008.
I've been traveling a lot just for the past 12 month and been in and out of the US for really 8 month in total, but not straight. I usually leave for 1 month and half, then came back for 15 days, then leave again, and so on (like vacation, not working abroad). I own a house here and pay my taxes (have bank account, a car, mails delivered...etc). Do I need to file for a reentry permit just to prove I haven't abandoned my status and my life here, since I plan to still go back and forward for another year? Will it jeopardize my green card since we are required to spend at least 6 month per year in the US?
Also, will I still be able to file for the US Citizen in February 2013 (under the 5 years -90 days rule)?

Really appreciate your advices. Thanks

Ingrid
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2012, 11:09 AM
Priority Date
:
Nov-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/25/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
02/06/2013
Compare
SGP has a reputation beyond repute SGP has a reputation beyond repute SGP has a reputation beyond repute SGP has a reputation beyond repute SGP has a reputation beyond repute SGP has a reputation beyond repute SGP has a reputation beyond repute SGP has a reputation beyond repute SGP has a reputation beyond repute SGP has a reputation beyond repute SGP has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ing69 View Post
I arrived in the US with a LB-1 Visas in January 2004 (French)
Got the Green card on the 1st May 2008.
I've been traveling a lot just for the past 12 month and been in and out of the US for really 8 month in total, but not straight. I usually leave for 1 month and half, then came back for 15 days, then leave again, and so on (like vacation, not working abroad). I own a house here and pay my taxes (have bank account, a car, mails delivered...etc). Do I need to file for a reentry permit just to prove I haven't abandoned my status and my life here, since I plan to still go back and forward for another year? Will it jeopardize my green card since we are required to spend at least 6 month per year in the US?
Also, will I still be able to file for the US Citizen in February 2013 (under the 5 years -90 days rule)?

Really appreciate your advices. Thanks

Ingrid
You should be fine. As long as you come back to the USA before 180 days and stay here for 15 days or so it should not be an issue. However please be prepared with a valid reasons at POE (Port Of Entry) and documentary proof (if any) if you are questioned by the CBP officials as to why are you out of the country for long periods of time.

I envy you for taking so many vacations. Enjoy Live life King Size
I140 Receipt Date:Jul 26, '07
I140 Approved Date:Apr 8, '08
2nd I140 Receipt Date:Jul 22, '11
I140 RFE Date:Mar 6, '12
I140 Approved Date:May 23, '12
I-485 Mailed Date:Feb 6, '13 Finally
I-485 Receipt Date:Feb 7, '13
I-485 Notice Date:Feb 12, '13
EAD & Advance Parole Approval:Mar 2, '13
EAD & Advance Parole Combo Card Recd Date:Mar 8, '13 (valid for 1 year)
Finger Print Notice date:Mar 29, '13

Old 07-27-2012, 01:16 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/06/2012
Compare
krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGP View Post
You should be fine. As long as you come back to the USA before 180 days and stay here for 15 days or so it should not be an issue.
Not really. things are changing . Long absences followed by a short stay in US are now questioned and I have seen in forums that GC have been revoked in some cases.

Old 07-27-2012, 02:11 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
unbeatensujoy is on a distinguished road
Default The rule

If you were not residing in US for more than 180 days in total in a calender Year then you might have lost the GC.

I think that is the Rule. Again I am not an expert.

Old 07-27-2012, 02:14 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-01
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/28/2004
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
11/30/2004
Compare
nlssubbu has a reputation beyond repute nlssubbu has a reputation beyond repute nlssubbu has a reputation beyond repute nlssubbu has a reputation beyond repute nlssubbu has a reputation beyond repute nlssubbu has a reputation beyond repute nlssubbu has a reputation beyond repute nlssubbu has a reputation beyond repute nlssubbu has a reputation beyond repute nlssubbu has a reputation beyond repute nlssubbu has a reputation beyond repute

You also need to satisfy continuous residency requirement to become citizen which is much more stringent than maintaining GC. Please take a look at the following requirements:

USCIS - Continuous Residence and Physical Presence Requirements for Naturalization

and the following condition specifically:

- Physically present in the U.S. for thirty months within the five year period before applying,

If you satisfy this, then you can apply for 5 years - 90 days rule. Otherwise you may have to wait till this condition satisfied as well. I am pretty sure that you may need to be armed yourself with proper explanation for your frequent trips during N-400 processing.

Thanks