Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Towards Citizenship > US Citizenship and its issues
Click to log in with Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2017, 03:13 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
IfYouSeekAmy is a jewel in the rough IfYouSeekAmy is a jewel in the rough IfYouSeekAmy is a jewel in the rough IfYouSeekAmy is a jewel in the rough
Default My Naturalization Experience

Employment based Green Card. Applied for naturalization more than 5 years after receiving green card.

Application sent to Phoenix in mid February 2017
Bio-metrics appointment mid March 2017

Interview held in Chicago mid August 2017
----------------------------------------------------
As soon as I was in the interview room, I was asked to take my oath to tell the truth. The officer asked for my green card and drivers license. She then examined my current and expired passport. I forget if it was the civic test or the reading and writing test she conducted first. In civic test I answered the 1st 6 questions correctly and she stopped the test at that. I had to read a simple sentence which was in the form of a question and then write the answer to that question on a piece of paper for the reading/writing test.

She then flipped through my application. She had my full immigration record with her (a very thick stack of papers) but she only asked questions from my application. She verified my address and my current employment. She picked a few other questions randomly and I answered them. I had a copy of the application with me as well. I had all my tax records and other supporting documents with me but she did not ask for anything.

After she was done with the questions, she informed me that she is recommending my application for approval. She then took a another photo of me and took my finger prints again. I understand that this is done to make sure that the person at the interview is the same person who provide the bio-metrics. I asked if I would receive the date of the oaths ceremony then and she said that I will be informed my mail. I was given a form which stated that my application was recommended for approval.

Notice of the Oaths Ceremony was received early September. The ceremony was scheduled for mid September. It also contained a questionnaire covering events that took place after the interview up to the day of the ceremony. Questions such as "were you arrested etc.", were on that form. I was instructed to fill that form on the day of the ceremony and bring it with me. I was also asked to bring my green card and any other travel documents (Advance Parole etc.) that USCIS has ever issued to me.

The Ceremony held in mid September
----------------------------------------------
The ceremony took place at the same federal building in downtown Chicago. The new citizens were seated on one side of a big hall and the friends and family on the other side. Seating was very methodical and took the most of the time. The questionnaire was collected along with green card before I was sent in to the hall. The ceremony was solemn and lasted for about 30 minutes. We received the Certificates of Naturalization at the end. We were also given the option to register to vote at the end of the ceremony.

Please let me know if you have any question....
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.