Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Towards Citizenship > Life after citizenship
Click to log in with Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2010, 01:53 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
bauchermark is infamous around these parts bauchermark is infamous around these parts bauchermark is infamous around these parts
Default US Citizens Muslim - Divorce , Rights on Property in India?

I was married in India as per Muslim law and currently both of us hold US citizenship. At the time of marriage we both were indian citizens. What kind of rights do my wife has on my property in India on our divorce (I bought these properties after my marriage and it is all registered under my name) ? In US, both husband and wife would share any property that we aquired after the marriage. Does the same true in India?

Thanks for your help. I pray no one should go thru these type of issues in thier life.

Old 10-23-2010, 05:52 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
thomasraj is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Buy To Let Mortgages

It's amazing to hear that in US the divorced women can share her ex-husband's property. But I don't think so such things are allowed in India and I would suggest the writer to visit any one of the Indian lawyers and clarify your doubts.
============
Buy To Let Mortgages
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2010, 12:13 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/20/2007
Compare
a.j.2048 has a reputation beyond repute a.j.2048 has a reputation beyond repute a.j.2048 has a reputation beyond repute a.j.2048 has a reputation beyond repute a.j.2048 has a reputation beyond repute a.j.2048 has a reputation beyond repute a.j.2048 has a reputation beyond repute a.j.2048 has a reputation beyond repute a.j.2048 has a reputation beyond repute a.j.2048 has a reputation beyond repute a.j.2048 has a reputation beyond repute

This area is fast moving. Indian courts have been refusing jurisdiction in these cases, unless one of the parties is an Indian resident or if they spent significant time in India after marriage. Best to consult an Indian lawyer to find out the current standards applied in India.

Old 10-23-2010, 12:28 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/26/2011
Chargeability
:
Pakistan
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/26/2011
Compare
forgerator has much to be proud of forgerator has much to be proud of forgerator has much to be proud of forgerator has much to be proud of forgerator has much to be proud of forgerator has much to be proud of forgerator has much to be proud of forgerator has much to be proud of forgerator has much to be proud of forgerator has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by bauchermark View Post
I was married in India as per Muslim law and currently both of us hold US citizenship. At the time of marriage we both were indian citizens. What kind of rights do my wife has on my property in India on our divorce (I bought these properties after my marriage and it is all registered under my name) ? In US, both husband and wife would share any property that we aquired after the marriage. Does the same true in India?

Thanks for your help. I pray no one should go thru these type of issues in thier life.
Well , the law states that the property accumulated after marriage has to be divided. Did you buy that property in India with money you accumulated in the US? Did you transfer that money from US to India? Was that money accumulated after marriage? If yes, then it will be divided as well. Of course it's best to check with lawyer first.

Last edited by forgerator; 10-23-2010 at 12:30 PM.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:28 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
reddyram is infamous around these parts reddyram is infamous around these parts reddyram is infamous around these parts reddyram is infamous around these parts reddyram is infamous around these parts reddyram is infamous around these parts reddyram is infamous around these parts reddyram is infamous around these parts reddyram is infamous around these parts reddyram is infamous around these parts reddyram is infamous around these parts

I agree with forgerator. Even if the property is not of US Income origin , there are community states that will attempt to divide by 2 everything ( all Assets Liquid movable non movable ) .
Is this something happening with all your Indian wives or just 1 Indian wife ..that again can complicate the case. Also depending on how many kids you have she can claim child support from you EVEN if she is staying in India, in a US court . There was another case not long ago where a man from agra ( north India ) , dumped his wives to have an affair with some teen age African American woman. Now he had totally 25 kids ( all his wives included ) from his Indian wives , and they were not that educated so they had to depend on income from him. He was in bad shape man , media ... everyone chasing him , until he bribed the local congress politician , judge and some dubai goons to keep the lid on. Happened a long ago - now maybe those kids are still there growing up. But their condition is pitiable - they have no clothes to wear and move about naked around and they take a dump on the railway tracks .... Get caught for stealing , bhai-giri etc. Eventually I think they will follow the steps of their bhaijaan ..become bhai's and take money out from bizness man in India. Congress govt will also give them 'rejerbation' , money , and more oomen.