Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Towards Citizenship > Life after citizenship
Click to log in with Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2011, 11:37 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
gcseeker2002 has a spectacular aura about gcseeker2002 has a spectacular aura about gcseeker2002 has a spectacular aura about
Default Kid with US Passport and PIO travelling to India

My son's US passport expires in December and he has a PIO valid for few more years. we have a trip planned to India in 2 weeks and suddenly started thinking if my son's US passport needs to be renewed before going to India. We are returning well before the passport expires, so just wanted to ask if anybody else have travelled to India with US passports that were expiring soon and if they had any issues at boarding or immigration in India. TIA .
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 10-02-2011, 12:45 AM
Priority Date
:
May-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/06/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/06/2007
Compare
mmillo has much to be proud of mmillo has much to be proud of mmillo has much to be proud of mmillo has much to be proud of mmillo has much to be proud of mmillo has much to be proud of mmillo has much to be proud of mmillo has much to be proud of
Default Think this also.

I don't have a answer for your question.

My wife and daughter visited India few months back . My daughter's new passport never had a new Indian visa stamping. She has PIO card. In Trivandrum she had a tough time.
After 2 hrs in line they allowed her to go . After so many pleasing etc.

My tip to you is to investigate about this also. If you need stamping in the new passport or not?

Old 10-02-2011, 07:30 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/16/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sneni has a reputation beyond repute sneni has a reputation beyond repute sneni has a reputation beyond repute sneni has a reputation beyond repute sneni has a reputation beyond repute sneni has a reputation beyond repute sneni has a reputation beyond repute sneni has a reputation beyond repute sneni has a reputation beyond repute sneni has a reputation beyond repute sneni has a reputation beyond repute
Default No Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcseeker2002 View Post
My son's US passport expires in December and he has a PIO valid for few more years. we have a trip planned to India in 2 weeks and suddenly started thinking if my son's US passport needs to be renewed before going to India. We are returning well before the passport expires, so just wanted to ask if anybody else have travelled to India with US passports that were expiring soon and if they had any issues at boarding or immigration in India. TIA .
No Problem and no one has right to ask as long as you are not requesting any VISA. Yes I traveled with 40 days passport validity with PIO.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:34 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/16/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sneni has a reputation beyond repute sneni has a reputation beyond repute sneni has a reputation beyond repute sneni has a reputation beyond repute sneni has a reputation beyond repute sneni has a reputation beyond repute sneni has a reputation beyond repute sneni has a reputation beyond repute sneni has a reputation beyond repute sneni has a reputation beyond repute sneni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmillo View Post

My wife and daughter visited India few months back . My daughter's new passport never had a new Indian visa stamping. She has PIO card. In Trivandrum she had a tough time.

My tip to you is to investigate about this also. If you need stamping in the new passport or not?
Why pleasing…? As long as you have valid PIO card, you good travel back and forth.
I never had this problem. I traveled 4 times so far. Yes US 5 Year Passport without Indian VISA. Valid PIO

Old 10-02-2011, 09:29 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
gcseeker2002 has a spectacular aura about gcseeker2002 has a spectacular aura about gcseeker2002 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneni View Post
No Problem and no one has right to ask as long as you are not requesting any VISA. Yes I traveled with 40 days passport validity with PIO.
I hope you meant your US passport had 40 days remaining, right ?
I read somewhere on the internet that Inda requires passport validity of 6 months minimum , and some airlines deny boarding for this reason, but never found any real experiences, so this is good to know. Technically if the passport and PIO are valid for the period of the stay and they are returning before the passport expires, why do they care as long as the PIO/visa is valid ?

Old 10-02-2011, 02:17 PM
Priority Date
:
May-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/06/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/06/2007
Compare
mmillo has much to be proud of mmillo has much to be proud of mmillo has much to be proud of mmillo has much to be proud of mmillo has much to be proud of mmillo has much to be proud of mmillo has much to be proud of mmillo has much to be proud of
Default Difference

That is the Difference between India and US.
Freedom doesn’t come easy.

Old 10-02-2011, 10:18 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Your issue is not Visa. But the number of days left in US passport. Most countries have certain limitations on the number of days passport should be valid, before entering if you are a foreigner. When coming back to US no problems. Even 1 day left in your passport, you are good.

But entering India, you check with your ticket agent. In these days, your passports and visas are checked at least in a baisc level before airlines issue tickets.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:20 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/28/2004
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/28/2004
Compare
ImmInd is on a distinguished road
Default Foreigner must have atleast 6 mos Passport validity to visit india

I planned my trip in June and found that ' Foreigners must have atleast 6 mos Passport validity when visiting india '. I had to renew my son (US Citizen) passport.

I applied with expedite and got it in less than a week. You can get the passport on same day if you visit one of the national/regional passport agency with an appointment. You can find more online...
I485 Xed: Mar-2007 to TSC, Aug-2007 to NSC
Biometrics: Oct-2007
I485 LUDs: 2010 (due to AP & EAD)
AP & EAD : 6th and 5th

Old 10-03-2011, 11:31 AM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
cpreddy69 is on a distinguished road
Default Get US passport within 5 Working days ( Expedited Service)

We appilied for US passport (expedited service), for My Son and got with in 3 days. So, please go for this service if you want to have peace of mind while you travel !!

Old 10-03-2011, 12:49 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare

The main problem for me is that for issuing new child passport, they are asking us to submit current passport which is valid for duration of travel.

can you pls give the info which passport expedite agency you used, and how much they charge. I have no time to go to regional passport agency.

Old 10-03-2011, 01:27 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Project_A has a reputation beyond repute Project_A has a reputation beyond repute Project_A has a reputation beyond repute Project_A has a reputation beyond repute Project_A has a reputation beyond repute Project_A has a reputation beyond repute Project_A has a reputation beyond repute Project_A has a reputation beyond repute Project_A has a reputation beyond repute Project_A has a reputation beyond repute Project_A has a reputation beyond repute

I believe India allows 6 months extended validity (beyond the expiration date ) per agreement with courtiers like USA, please check into that by contacting the nearest Indian consulate. Since this arrangement is reciprocal, USA also allows 6 months extended validity for Indian citizens. Google for 9 FAM 41.104 EXHIBIT I.

-Project_A

Old 10-03-2011, 01:44 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/07/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
Edison99 has a reputation beyond repute Edison99 has a reputation beyond repute Edison99 has a reputation beyond repute Edison99 has a reputation beyond repute Edison99 has a reputation beyond repute Edison99 has a reputation beyond repute Edison99 has a reputation beyond repute Edison99 has a reputation beyond repute Edison99 has a reputation beyond repute Edison99 has a reputation beyond repute Edison99 has a reputation beyond repute

If you have valid PIO then Indian VISA not necessary...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmillo View Post

Old 10-03-2011, 02:27 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project_A View Post
I believe India allows 6 months extended validity (beyond the expiration date ) per agreement with courtiers like USA, please check into that by contacting the nearest Indian consulate. Since this arrangement is reciprocal, USA also allows 6 months extended validity for Indian citizens. Google for 9 FAM 41.104 EXHIBIT I.

-Project_A
This is very good to know. I also called the airline and checked , and they said that for India they only need valid visa and passport for the duration of the trip, so keep the itenerary handy if somebody mentions the passport nearing expiry

Old 10-03-2011, 02:36 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
This is very good to know. I also called the airline and checked , and they said that for India they only need valid visa and passport for the duration of the trip, so keep the itenerary handy if somebody mentions the passport nearing expiry
Only National Passport Agencies (about 7 or 8 locations in US) issue passports within few hours, but you have to go there in person.

OR you can apply in any passport locations locally (USPS has agents) and tell them you are expediting, they charge extra (something around $80, check online) on the same counter and send to the right agency.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:03 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare

After seeing Project_A's post and talking to the airlines , I have decided to renew the passport after my trip is completed and not take the hassle of renewing the passport when it is valid for the duration of the trip.