Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > General Information > Tax, Social Security and Financial Issues for Immigrants and Nonimmigrants
Click to log in with Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2011, 03:08 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/25/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/15/2007
Compare
sundarpn has a reputation beyond repute sundarpn has a reputation beyond repute sundarpn has a reputation beyond repute sundarpn has a reputation beyond repute sundarpn has a reputation beyond repute sundarpn has a reputation beyond repute sundarpn has a reputation beyond repute sundarpn has a reputation beyond repute sundarpn has a reputation beyond repute sundarpn has a reputation beyond repute sundarpn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Joint Tax filing - wife on H4 & ITIN?

This yr I need to file jointly. Got married last year and my wife is on H-4. I am told I need to apply for ITIN Number and file via paper only.

Can someone who has gone through this process shed some light? is this something that can be done by an individual?. I have filed taxes before on paper and via websites.

Thx
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2011, 03:27 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/27/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
cbpds has a reputation beyond repute cbpds has a reputation beyond repute cbpds has a reputation beyond repute cbpds has a reputation beyond repute cbpds has a reputation beyond repute cbpds has a reputation beyond repute cbpds has a reputation beyond repute cbpds has a reputation beyond repute cbpds has a reputation beyond repute cbpds has a reputation beyond repute cbpds has a reputation beyond repute
Default steps

1.go to the irs site and file itin for ur wife
2.go to a tax accountant and file ur taxes, the accnt will write "filed for ITIN " on the return and send it to IRS
3.will take quite some time to get ur refund

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundarpn View Post
This yr I need to file jointly. Got married last year and my wife is on H-4. I am told I need to apply for ITIN Number and file via paper only.

Can someone who has gone through this process shed some light? is this something that can be done by an individual?. I have filed taxes before on paper and via websites.

Thx

Donated to IV

Old 02-17-2011, 03:34 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/10/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute

You can file for ITIN along with your Tax filing. You can get the relevant forms and require docs from the IRS web site. I have done that couple of years back.

Old 02-17-2011, 03:37 PM
Priority Date
:
May-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/06/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
10/01/2011
Compare
mk26 has a reputation beyond repute mk26 has a reputation beyond repute mk26 has a reputation beyond repute mk26 has a reputation beyond repute mk26 has a reputation beyond repute mk26 has a reputation beyond repute mk26 has a reputation beyond repute mk26 has a reputation beyond repute mk26 has a reputation beyond repute mk26 has a reputation beyond repute mk26 has a reputation beyond repute

I had gone thru this but that was in 2006 some rules might have changed,

First you need to apply for ITIN for your wife and paper file the tax in place of ss# for your wife you need to write 'APPLIED FOR ITIN'. I guess thats all you need to do but please verify new rules for ITIN(Form W-9). Once you get ITIN from next year onward you will be fine for e-file. hope this info helps

Old 02-17-2011, 03:49 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/26/2011
Chargeability
:
Pakistan
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/26/2011
Compare
forgerator has much to be proud of forgerator has much to be proud of forgerator has much to be proud of forgerator has much to be proud of forgerator has much to be proud of forgerator has much to be proud of forgerator has much to be proud of forgerator has much to be proud of forgerator has much to be proud of forgerator has much to be proud of

ITIN cannot be applied separately from the tax return. They have to be done at the same time and mailed in together (1040 + W7).

The way I did it was that I used HRBlock to fill out all my information online, and instead of e-filing, I printed out the return. Make sure that you leave the SSN field blank for your wife since that's where the ITIN will be assigned. HR Block online site did not allow me to leave it blank so I did a 'jugaad' I filled it out with the text 123456789, and then after saving it to pdf, I used a pdf editor to blank out the field, and then finally printed it out.

Now fill out the W7, put everything including your joint filer tax return in one envelope and send to the appropriate address and you should be good to go.
2007 Oct - hold due to layoffs
2008 May - Prevailing Wage completed
2008 Oct - Complete Recruitment
2008 Nov - PERM filed
2009 May - PERM approved
2009 July - 140 Approved (waiting)
2010 Nov - new EB2 ROW app with same firm
2010 Dec - Prevailing Wage completed
2011 Feb - Complete Recruitment process
2011 Apr - PERM filed
2011 Jun - PERM approved
2011 Aug - 140/485 concurrently filed

2012 Jun - Greened !!

Old 02-17-2011, 03:50 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/26/2011
Chargeability
:
Pakistan
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/26/2011
Compare
forgerator has much to be proud of forgerator has much to be proud of forgerator has much to be proud of forgerator has much to be proud of forgerator has much to be proud of forgerator has much to be proud of forgerator has much to be proud of forgerator has much to be proud of forgerator has much to be proud of forgerator has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbpds View Post
2.go to a tax accountant and file ur taxes, the accnt will write "filed for ITIN " on the return and send it to IRS
Incorrect. 1 and 2 cannot be filed separately. They MUST be mailed in together to IRS. This is a very common mistake everyone makes, and it ends up denying their ITIN application and delaying their refund.
2008 Nov - PERM filed
2009 May - PERM approved
2011 Apr - PERM filed
2011 Jun - PERM approved

2012 Jun - Greened !!

Old 02-17-2011, 04:59 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/27/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
cbpds has a reputation beyond repute cbpds has a reputation beyond repute cbpds has a reputation beyond repute cbpds has a reputation beyond repute cbpds has a reputation beyond repute cbpds has a reputation beyond repute cbpds has a reputation beyond repute cbpds has a reputation beyond repute cbpds has a reputation beyond repute cbpds has a reputation beyond repute cbpds has a reputation beyond repute

Dude,

I followed the steps I wrote and got the refund, did not do any 'jugaad' like you.

Grow up, learn to accept that there are multiple ways of getting a refund !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgerator View Post
Incorrect. 1 and 2 cannot be filed separately. They MUST be mailed in together to IRS. This is a very common mistake everyone makes, and it ends up denying their ITIN application and delaying their refund.

Donated to IV

Old 02-17-2011, 05:48 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/10/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Dude,

I followed the steps I wrote and got the refund, did not do any 'jugaad' like you.

I am not sure when you have filed. But if you are filing ITIN without tax filing and claiming the purpose as Tax filing - it will be rejected.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:15 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
bugmenotu is on a distinguished road

some background before I answer your question: I got married in mid-2008 and that year my wife was on H4. She was in the US for only 3 months in 2008 including the last day of 2008. So...

1. I filed the Federal return as 'married filing jointly'. Paper filed. Kept the Spouse's SSN blank.
2. Attached the ITIN application to the federal return. Also attached a notarized photocopy of wife's passport's biographic page and H4 visa pages. You can get the photocopies notarized at the local library, for example.
3. Also attached a letter with the Federal return requesting the IRS to treat my wife as a resident because she was not in the country in 2008 long enough to automatically qualify as a resident. You may not need this letter depending upon how many days your wife was in the US
3. The federal return was accepted by the IRS and they sent an ITIN number for my wife.
4. Used this ITIN number to file state taxes; the state I live in does not accept a tax return without a SSN/ITIN. Again, you may not need to file state taxes depending upon which state you live in.

My Federal and State tax returns were accepted without any glitches. Remember to file your federal return early so that you have enough time to then file the State return in time, in case the state you reside requires you to life a tax return and also requires an ITIN number.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:26 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/26/2011
Chargeability
:
Pakistan
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/26/2011
Compare

Quote:
Dude,

Depends on when you filed. The rule is changed now - previously they allowed to file separately but now they must be filed together. Not sure what multiple ways of refund you're referring to, I think you're confused.
2008 Nov - PERM filed
2009 May - PERM approved
2011 Apr - PERM filed
2011 Jun - PERM approved

2012 Jun - Greened !!

Old 02-17-2011, 07:31 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/26/2011
Chargeability
:
Pakistan
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/26/2011
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugmenotu View Post
3. Also attached a letter with the Federal return requesting the IRS to treat my wife as a resident because she was not in the country in 2008 long enough to automatically qualify as a resident. You may not need this letter depending upon how many days your wife was in the US
Even this is not needed.

As long as your wife is on H4, even if she never entered the US, she can qualify for ITIN and you can get the married filing jointly refund.

You can read my full account below (in case it can benefit someone in similar situation):
http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/fo...tax-forms.html (Question about ITIN, Stimulus, Tax forms)
2008 Nov - PERM filed
2009 May - PERM approved
2011 Apr - PERM filed
2011 Jun - PERM approved

2012 Jun - Greened !!

Old 02-17-2011, 07:54 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-02
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/28/2003
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
number30 has a brilliant future number30 has a brilliant future number30 has a brilliant future number30 has a brilliant future number30 has a brilliant future number30 has a brilliant future number30 has a brilliant future number30 has a brilliant future number30 has a brilliant future number30 has a brilliant future number30 has a brilliant future

Quote:
That was old process. It is changed now.
Go to tax accountant and tell him that you need file ITIN number spouse. He will prepare tax return and W7 form. There is Separate Mailing Address for W7 and Tax return together. (It was Philadelphia PA for Texas filing when i saw i last time)
It will take some extra time get money.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:57 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/22/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/19/2007
Compare
reddy_h will become famous soon enough reddy_h will become famous soon enough

you can even go to local IRS office and file W-7 along with tax return. they will verify the documents on the spot and there will be less chance of rejection.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:48 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Aug-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/30/2011
Compare
thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by snathan View Post
You can file for ITIN along with your Tax filing. You can get the relevant forms and require docs from the IRS web site. I have done that couple of years back.
I think this is the way to go.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:55 AM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
lifestrikes has a reputation beyond repute lifestrikes has a reputation beyond repute lifestrikes has a reputation beyond repute lifestrikes has a reputation beyond repute lifestrikes has a reputation beyond repute lifestrikes has a reputation beyond repute lifestrikes has a reputation beyond repute lifestrikes has a reputation beyond repute lifestrikes has a reputation beyond repute lifestrikes has a reputation beyond repute lifestrikes has a reputation beyond repute

To file ITIN Number you need to submit W7 form. No wastes your money going to Tax consultant.

Send supporting documents (as per W7 Instructions)

How to Apply - Second Bullet says the following.

Your original, completed tax return(s) for which the ITIN is needed. Attach Form W-7 to the front of your tax return. If you are applying for more than one ITIN for the same tax return (such as for a spouse or dependent(s)), attach all Forms W-7 to contain an expiration date, they are considered current at all the same tax return. After your Form W-7 has been processed, times. The IRS will assign an ITIN to the return and process the return

Link to W7 Instructions

Link to W7 Form

Mail both W7, supporting documents and your Married Filed Jointly tax returns to Austin, Texas address (this is different from regular tax mailing address).

It took us about 6 weeks to get the ITIN + Tax Refund.

State Tax Return (if required)

Till you receive the ITIN, you will not be able to file state tax. So, if you apply for ITIN no in Feb, if you get ITIN before April 18, then file your state tax, if not, apply for State Tax extension.
  • PERM Approved - Oct/20/2011
  • I-140 - To be Filed Nov 1st week [Premium]
  • Category - EB3
  • 6th Year H1 Ends - Feb 2012

Last edited by lifestrikes; 02-18-2011 at 10:59 AM.