Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > General Information > Tax, Social Security and Financial Issues for Immigrants and Nonimmigrants
Click to log in with Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2009, 05:38 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/15/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/19/2007
Compare
MightyIndian is on a distinguished road

Its illegal to ask for a copy of SSN. No financial firm in US asks for it for whatever reason. There is no reason to provide it to ICICI. Like everyone else I suggest using SBI's express remit. Here is the text from an e-mail I received from SBI offering Rapit remit which takes about 24 - 72 hours to credit the beneficiary account.

We now are glad to bring a new product offering to all SBI Express Remit customers for remittances from USA to India viz. SBI Rapid Remittance. You can avail off the new service (in addition to SBI Express Remit) based on your present customer profile with the Bank. This service covers remittances to India with a minimum amount of $ 2000 and a maximum amount up to $ 100000 for a beneficiary account with SBI or other NEFT enabled banks.

We aim to reduce the time lag in credit to the beneficiary account through this new product. The process involves 2 steps. The remitter is required to provide transaction details on our site and then approach his bank in USA for a domestic transfer to SBI's designated account with Bank of America in USA. We promise to credit beneficiary account with SBI on the very next business day after the credit is received in our designated account with Bank of America in USA. The total time for the process can vary from 24 hours to 72 hours (presuming all are business days) depending on your Bank's system for effecting domestic transfer.

To get complete information on the product and to send remittances using SBI Rapid Remittance kindly click on the following link
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2009, 05:38 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/15/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/19/2007
Compare

and the missing link from my earlier post is http://www.onlinesbi.com/glsus
I-140 APPROVED: Feb 2007
Service Center: NSC
485/EAD/AP Filed: JULY 20 2007
Receipt Date:09/20/2007 from CSC Transferred to NSC
Filed New Labor and approved on 03/03/2015
New EB2 I-140 filed approved 04/11/2015
Recaptured old priority date 05/15/2015
RFE on I-485 for Medical. responded on 06/04/2015.
I485 approved on 06/09/2015

Old 01-12-2009, 06:19 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Dhundhun has a reputation beyond repute Dhundhun has a reputation beyond repute Dhundhun has a reputation beyond repute Dhundhun has a reputation beyond repute Dhundhun has a reputation beyond repute Dhundhun has a reputation beyond repute Dhundhun has a reputation beyond repute Dhundhun has a reputation beyond repute Dhundhun has a reputation beyond repute Dhundhun has a reputation beyond repute Dhundhun has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spark_m View Post
Hi
I'v used remit2india services for more than 5 years...transferring money every now and then. In the last year I transferred 15000USD, in december they started askine me for a scanned copy of my US social card, and have suspended my account till I provide that to them....I am sceptical. I provided my ssn to them when they initially wanteed to verify my account 5 years back,why would they want it again, and this time a scanned copy? Is it legally safe for me to give this to them? Can they even ask for this?

Thanks,
Above $10,000 in any case is supposed to be reoprted to US Treasury. I think, for transactions amounting to above that Indian counterparts need SSN. I have been hearing for quite some time (don't have URL to substentiate it). When you transferred $15,000, they might not be aware of US pressure, but now trying to chase you.

In the interest of security against terrorism, you should close this issue gracefully. I am not sure by sending a copy of SSN, or just telling your SSN. You know in India, some time photocopies are also not enough - it needs to be attested.

Trying to convince them by telling SSN on phone. Otherwise if it is their genuine request to know your SSN and you don't close this issue, there will be always RED flag against you until resolved.

Last edited by Dhundhun; 01-12-2009 at 06:21 PM.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:20 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/13/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/13/2007
Compare
LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyIndian View Post
and the missing link from my earlier post is http://www.onlinesbi.com/glsus
And the current exchange rate is as follows:

USD 50 1000 Rs 47.96/USD
USD 1001 2000 Rs 48.01/USD
USD 2001 4000 Rs 48.06/USD
USD 4001 5000 Rs 48.11/USD
USD 5001 10000 Rs 48.11/USD *

Old 01-12-2009, 08:13 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
spark_m is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhundhun View Post
Above $10,000 in any case is supposed to be reoprted to US Treasury. I think, for transactions amounting to above that Indian counterparts need SSN. I have been hearing for quite some time (don't have URL to substentiate it). When you transferred $15,000, they might not be aware of US pressure, but now trying to chase you.

In the interest of security against terrorism, you should close this issue gracefully. I am not sure by sending a copy of SSN, or just telling your SSN. You know in India, some time photocopies are also not enough - it needs to be attested.

Trying to convince them by telling SSN on phone. Otherwise if it is their genuine request to know your SSN and you don't close this issue, there will be always RED flag against you until resolved.

I transfered $15000 over a period of one year..in any case the limit is $25000 per year or $10000 per week, which is when they ask for SSN...this is what a remit2india customer rep told me....so I am well within limits.

Plus I have also been told that this is being asked from ALL of remit2india customers....dont know if that is true.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:58 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Dhundhun has a reputation beyond repute Dhundhun has a reputation beyond repute Dhundhun has a reputation beyond repute Dhundhun has a reputation beyond repute Dhundhun has a reputation beyond repute Dhundhun has a reputation beyond repute Dhundhun has a reputation beyond repute Dhundhun has a reputation beyond repute Dhundhun has a reputation beyond repute Dhundhun has a reputation beyond repute Dhundhun has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I transfered $15000 over a period of one year..in any case the limit is $25000 per year or $10000 per week, which is when they ask for SSN...this is what a remit2india customer rep told me....so I am well within limits.

Plus I have also been told that this is being asked from ALL of remit2india customers....dont know if that is true.
Last year I transfered $2,500, I don't have any such message.

If I were you, I'll ask the guy to hungup and directly call Remit2India. I would find what is happening and respond accordingly.

If it is Fake or Fraudlent call/email, you could sort out this way. (please note that WEB site also can be hacked and phone numbers can be changed. If the same contacts are consistent for few days, use that contact.)

My point is that money laundering has been happening and US as well as Indian Govt. wants to know transfer as well as usage of money. If either of them have questioned Remit2India, you should provide answer.

It is like cops asking question. Legally perhaps you can say no. While filing return in US, if it is more than $10,000 transfer, there is form to report to US Treasury. I have been sending three mails after filing return: IRS, State and US Treasury, whenever transfered more than $10,000. I don't remember that form #, someone can answer.

Your Remit2India account is frozen. So if you want to use it anyway, you have to get it activated.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:14 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhundhun View Post
Last year I transfered $2,500, I don't have any such message.

If I were you, I'll ask the guy to hungup and directly call Remit2India. I would find what is happening and respond accordingly.

If it is Fake or Fraudlent call/email, you could sort out this way. (please note that WEB site also can be hacked and phone numbers can be changed. If the same contacts are consistent for few days, use that contact.)

My point is that money laundering has been happening and US as well as Indian Govt. wants to know transfer as well as usage of money. If either of them have questioned Remit2India, you should provide answer.

It is like cops asking question. Legally perhaps you can say no. While filing return in US, if it is more than $10,000 transfer, there is form to report to US Treasury. I have been sending three mails after filing return: IRS, State and US Treasury, whenever transfered more than $10,000. I don't remember that form #, someone can answer.

Your Remit2India account is frozen. So if you want to use it anyway, you have to get it activated.
I understand all that, which is why during my last transaction I was asked to enter my ssn before I could send more money, and I entered ( though before this ssn was not asked, and this looked like a new form). Yet after that, they froze my account and asked for a scanned copy of the ssn.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:28 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/05/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/07/2007
Compare
ita has a brilliant future ita has a brilliant future ita has a brilliant future ita has a brilliant future ita has a brilliant future ita has a brilliant future ita has a brilliant future ita has a brilliant future ita has a brilliant future ita has a brilliant future ita has a brilliant future
Default Did you file the form Dhundhun mentioned?

But Sbi (http://www.onlinesbi.com/glsus ) doesn't ask for ssn if you transfer more than 15,000. Do we have to specify U S Treasury about our transfers if it is more than 10K a year?

Spark_m did you fill the form that DhunDhun is talking about .
Can somebody explain what this form is?

Thank you.

Quote:
I understand all that, which is why during my last transaction I was asked to enter my ssn before I could send more money, and I entered ( though before this ssn was not asked, and this looked like a new form). Yet after that, they froze my account and asked for a scanned copy of the ssn.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:43 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by ita View Post
I think, it is "TD F 90-22.1".

Some guidelines are http://www.rpifs.com/AICPA/formtdf90221.htm

My family was in India and so as I remember, I filled this form in 2001-2004. Two years through H&R block, followed by two years through Tax Software. After that it has been less than 10K. I am not aware of recent changes.

Last edited by Dhundhun; 01-13-2009 at 02:41 AM.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:05 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by ita View Post
But Sbi (http://www.onlinesbi.com/glsus ) doesn't ask for ssn if you transfer more than 15,000. Do we have to specify U S Treasury about our transfers if it is more than 10K a year?

Spark_m did you fill the form that DhunDhun is talking about .

Thank you.
No i never filled this form...because I didnt know about it...but Im sure this i not why remit is asking for ssn.

Icici, sbi and even remit have upper limits of transfer set to $10000 per day or $25000 per year.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:36 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/09/2007
Compare
askreddy has a spectacular aura about askreddy has a spectacular aura about askreddy has a spectacular aura about
Default New SBI Offer

Launch of SBI Rapid Remittance

We now are glad to bring a new product offering to all SBI Express Remit customers for remittances from USA to India viz. SBI Rapid Remittance. You can avail off the new service (in addition to SBI Express Remit) based on your present customer profile with the Bank. This service covers remittances to India with a minimum amount of $ 2000 and a maximum amount up to $ 100000 for a beneficiary account with SBI or other NEFT enabled banks.

We aim to reduce the time lag in credit to the beneficiary account through this new product. The process involves 2 steps. The remitter is required to provide transaction details on our site and then approach his bank in USA for a domestic transfer to SBI's designated account with Bank of America in USA. We promise to credit beneficiary account with SBI on the very next business day after the credit is received in our designated account with Bank of America in USA. The total time for the process can vary from 24 hours to 72 hours (presuming all are business days) depending on your Bank's system for effecting domestic transfer.

To get complete information on the product and to send remittances using SBI Rapid Remittance kindly click on the following link www.onlinesbi.com/glsus

For any questions and support you can mail us at kumar.p.prem@sbi.co.in

Thanking you for your patronage,

Kumar Parimal Prem

Manager
SBI

Old 01-13-2009, 10:52 AM
Priority Date
:
Jun-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/15/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/19/2007
Compare

Oh well, Somebody gave me red saying " No Sales please". Please note that I neither work for SBI nor gain in way if people use SBI to transfer money.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:21 AM
Priority Date
:
Nov-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sidbee is a splendid one to behold sidbee is a splendid one to behold sidbee is a splendid one to behold sidbee is a splendid one to behold sidbee is a splendid one to behold sidbee is a splendid one to behold sidbee is a splendid one to behold

I have been using remit2india, and i think they have deceptive buisness practices, I am planning to move to SBI , they may cause extra delays due to unintentional errors (being a govt company) but atleast they wont be cheating the customers.
Felt to me that Remit2India, manipulates the day of deposit to give less exchange rate.
Bye Bye Remit 2 India,
Hii SBI