Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > General Information > Tax, Social Security and Financial Issues for Immigrants and Nonimmigrants
Click to log in with Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2009, 03:56 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
spark_m is on a distinguished road
Default Remit2india wants my scanned ssn copy

Hi
I'v used remit2india services for more than 5 years...transferring money every now and then. In the last year I transferred 15000USD, in december they started askine me for a scanned copy of my US social card, and have suspended my account till I provide that to them....I am sceptical. I provided my ssn to them when they initially wanteed to verify my account 5 years back,why would they want it again, and this time a scanned copy? Is it legally safe for me to give this to them? Can they even ask for this?

Thanks,
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2009, 04:09 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/05/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/07/2007
Compare
ita has a brilliant future ita has a brilliant future ita has a brilliant future ita has a brilliant future ita has a brilliant future ita has a brilliant future ita has a brilliant future ita has a brilliant future ita has a brilliant future ita has a brilliant future ita has a brilliant future
Default Don't give

As far as I know they have nothing to do with SSN. Tell them for security reasons you can't disclose your ssn.

May be other members here who use the service can give more suggestions.

Old 01-12-2009, 04:10 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/13/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/13/2007
Compare
LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spark_m View Post
Hi
I'v used remit2india services for more than 5 years...transferring money every now and then. In the last year I transferred 15000USD, in december they started askine me for a scanned copy of my US social card, and have suspended my account till I provide that to them....I am sceptical. I provided my ssn to them when they initially wanteed to verify my account 5 years back,why would they want it again, and this time a scanned copy? Is it legally safe for me to give this to them? Can they even ask for this?

Thanks,
If you don't trust them, don't give the SSN photocopy. I never came across any banks or any other financial institution asking for SSN photocopy.

I'd recommend you send thru SBI, which is a nationalized bank and it feels much safer, faster and free.
this is the link: http://www.onlinesbi.com/glsus/

I had bad experience with ICICI...so, I don't recommend that bank either.

good Day!

Old 01-12-2009, 04:15 PM
Priority Date
:
Before 2000
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Canada
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
snakesrocks will become famous soon enough
Default I gave them scanned copy of SSN

Quote:
Hi

Thanks,
I had my account suspended. When I called the customer service they told me to send a scanned copy of my SSN. I did that through email. Till now my account suspension has not been lifted. I get calls every day from them to remit money and offer me 2 paise more for exchange rate. I told my account is suspended and I could not remit money.

I stopped using them and using HDFC, who give a better rate and service.

Old 01-12-2009, 04:30 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/20/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
pointlesswait is infamous around these parts pointlesswait is infamous around these parts pointlesswait is infamous around these parts pointlesswait is infamous around these parts pointlesswait is infamous around these parts pointlesswait is infamous around these parts pointlesswait is infamous around these parts pointlesswait is infamous around these parts
Default nuts

i think its a potential redflag..

i got an email from SBI last week..
SBI now has a tieup with Bank of America.. where in..if you deposite the check into a BOA account.. they will remit the money in 2 days flat.. in ur indian account..

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInGCProcess View Post
If you don't trust them, don't give the SSN photocopy. I never came across any banks or any other financial institution asking for SSN photocopy.

I'd recommend you send thru SBI, which is a nationalized bank and it feels much safer, faster and free.
this is the link: http://www.onlinesbi.com/glsus/

I had bad experience with ICICI...so, I don't recommend that bank either.

good Day!

Old 01-12-2009, 04:34 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Yes i thought it was a redflag too....expecially since they have my details for the past 5 years.
When I called them to ask they said since the mumbai blasts they have been given orders by the government to verify everyones social...so i said that for this you wouldnt need a scanned copy, they said no we need it for this n that....

anyways, this really needs to be reported to the RBI...dont u think?

Old 01-12-2009, 04:35 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/06/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/15/2007
Compare
div_bell_2003 can only hope to improve

Yes, it is a potential red flag, I'd avoid any bank asking for my scanned SSN copy like plague. I use SBI remit services, so far they are true to their promise as far the exchange rates go.

Old 01-12-2009, 04:40 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
HawaldarNaik has a reputation beyond repute HawaldarNaik has a reputation beyond repute HawaldarNaik has a reputation beyond repute HawaldarNaik has a reputation beyond repute HawaldarNaik has a reputation beyond repute HawaldarNaik has a reputation beyond repute HawaldarNaik has a reputation beyond repute HawaldarNaik has a reputation beyond repute HawaldarNaik has a reputation beyond repute HawaldarNaik has a reputation beyond repute HawaldarNaik has a reputation beyond repute
Default Problem with dealing with India based agents

The problem with dealing with these India based agencies is that initially they will try to be sweet and friendly though you always know something drastic is comming soon
The reason being once they know that this is a desi they will start acting crooked asking for paper work, details, ssn even down to what is the color of your chaddeee
Even after providing all these details u can be rest assured that service will not be up to the mark
we just cant get ourselves to be professional enough so that we do our work based on merit.....on one hand we see the Satyam fiasco...absolute lack of professionalism and good governance...on the other we have outstanding individuals like Rahman who win Golden globes

now we have to hope that the outstanding individuals dont go and become another Ramalingam Raju....but create a team and workforce of people who have very high integrity and honesty...come on we do have abundance of talent...just need to realize and beleive in it...and not start getting crooked at any stage...come what may...

Last edited by HawaldarNaik; 01-12-2009 at 04:43 PM.

Old 01-12-2009, 04:43 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute
Default Careful !!!

Quote:
Hi

Thanks,
They can ask your SSN over phone, but not scanned copy. How would they want, thru email?

Old 01-12-2009, 04:52 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

they want thru email....i am ready to tell them over phone my ssn but not send them a scanned copy, n i told them that.

Old 01-12-2009, 04:56 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/10/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointlesswait View Post
i think its a potential redflag..

i got an email from SBI last week..
SBI now has a tieup with Bank of America.. where in..if you deposite the check into a BOA account.. they will remit the money in 2 days flat.. in ur indian account..
can you provide more details on this...
# Contact the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ice.gov) by telephone at (866) DHS-2-ICE. The hotline is designed specifically to accept immigration violation reports. You can complain anonymously.

Fraud Detection and National Security (FDNS) Directorate
111 Massachusetts Ave., NW Suite 7002,
Mail Stop 2280 Washington,
D.C. 20529-2280
FDNS@dhs.gov
filing without current PD

Old 01-12-2009, 05:01 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/08/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/25/2007
Compare
kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute

I never gave them my SSN and they locked up my account. I use ICICI's service. I do not have enough trust with remit2India or for that matter any India based agency.
I-140 - Approved
I-485 - July 2007 and pending
Filed 2nd labor in 2009
Filed 2nd I-140 in 2009
Ported the PD
GC in 08-2010 almost 10 years after coming to the US.

Old 01-12-2009, 05:12 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute
Default No no no.

Quote:
they want thru email....i am ready to tell them over phone my ssn but not send them a scanned copy, n i told them that.
Have you ever got an email saying "I am the financial advisor of a crap died when he was eating a piece of bread, he has 26,000,000,000,000,000 pounds (of what?) in his account. If you want to help me, I will take $2.00 as service charage and give you everything else.... Please contact me xyz, Antarctica"

Same as this.

Your scanned copy may go thru several mail gateways and everyone is saving a copy of crossing emails. So there are potential chances that you end up giving the scanned copy to more than one.

Last edited by insbaby; 01-12-2009 at 05:15 PM.

Old 01-12-2009, 05:13 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/04/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
bestofall has a reputation beyond repute bestofall has a reputation beyond repute bestofall has a reputation beyond repute bestofall has a reputation beyond repute bestofall has a reputation beyond repute bestofall has a reputation beyond repute bestofall has a reputation beyond repute bestofall has a reputation beyond repute bestofall has a reputation beyond repute bestofall has a reputation beyond repute bestofall has a reputation beyond repute
Default OnlineSBI

I have been using onlinesbi.com/gls ...I never had any problems.
Recently They started Rapid Remittance Option..I guess they do transfer in 24 hours .

I dont have positive experience with Remit2India....they never kept the Promise about the Gift that they offer as bait for customer ..and customer service is bad..exchange rate is very bad..

I dont how they GOT NO. 1 Rating from Rating Agency ..........

Last edited by bestofall; 01-12-2009 at 05:16 PM.

Old 01-12-2009, 05:13 PM
Priority Date
:
May-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/20/2012
Compare
vdlrao has a reputation beyond repute vdlrao has a reputation beyond repute vdlrao has a reputation beyond repute vdlrao has a reputation beyond repute vdlrao has a reputation beyond repute vdlrao has a reputation beyond repute vdlrao has a reputation beyond repute vdlrao has a reputation beyond repute vdlrao has a reputation beyond repute vdlrao has a reputation beyond repute vdlrao has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hi

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...ow/3943969.cms

See the above link. And be careful while giving sensitive information.