Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > General Information > Tax, Social Security and Financial Issues for Immigrants and Nonimmigrants
Click to log in with Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2009, 05:10 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/20/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/21/2007
Compare
EkAurAaya has much to be proud of EkAurAaya has much to be proud of EkAurAaya has much to be proud of EkAurAaya has much to be proud of EkAurAaya has much to be proud of EkAurAaya has much to be proud of EkAurAaya has much to be proud of EkAurAaya has much to be proud of EkAurAaya has much to be proud of EkAurAaya has much to be proud of
Exclamation Tax implications - selling a house on H1b or EAD

What are (if any) the tax implications > if a H1b or EAD holder sells his/her house?

From what i knew there were no special "taxes" or implications... but someone (a lawyer) recently told me in addition to everything else there is a 10% tax (federal) on selling price?

Can anyone who has sold a property on h1 or EAD confirm this?

Please share first hand experience and not something that someones heard through the grapevine
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2009, 07:43 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/20/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/21/2007
Compare
EkAurAaya has much to be proud of EkAurAaya has much to be proud of EkAurAaya has much to be proud of EkAurAaya has much to be proud of EkAurAaya has much to be proud of EkAurAaya has much to be proud of EkAurAaya has much to be proud of EkAurAaya has much to be proud of EkAurAaya has much to be proud of EkAurAaya has much to be proud of

no ones ever sold a house on H1B or EAD?

Old 03-19-2009, 08:36 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-08
Category
:
EB2-NIW
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/20/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/23/2011
Compare
kevin08 is just really nice kevin08 is just really nice kevin08 is just really nice kevin08 is just really nice
Default Selling Home - Federal Tax Return

Once you are 183 days on H1b (significant presence test), you become resident alien for federal tax purposes and file 1040 just like any other resident. From my experience in real estate, I am yet to encounter an IRS form that says H1b's shall be taxed 10% more. Can you request the IRS publication number from the source? I am curious.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:58 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/10/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EkAurAaya View Post
What are (if any) the tax implications > if a H1b or EAD holder sells his/her house?

From what i knew there were no special "taxes" or implications... but someone (a lawyer) recently told me in addition to everything else there is a 10% tax (federal) on selling price?

Please share first hand experience and not something that someones heard through the grapevine
I think you need to talk to the CPA for tax and not lawyer....

Old 03-19-2009, 10:43 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/20/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/21/2007
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin08 View Post
Once you are 183 days on H1b (significant presence test), you become resident alien for federal tax purposes and file 1040 just like any other resident. From my experience in real estate, I am yet to encounter an IRS form that says H1b's shall be taxed 10% more. Can you request the IRS publication number from the source? I am curious.
Thanks for your response. My understanding was the same as yours, however this came from my real estate lawyer (a good one). May be he misunderstood resident alien v/s foreigner investing here.

I still would like to hear from someone who actually sold a place on h1 or ead their experience.

Old 03-19-2009, 10:46 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/20/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/21/2007
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by snathan View Post
I think you need to talk to the CPA for tax and not lawyer....
This came from a real estate lawyer... usually they know what they are talking about. But you are right, wont be a bad idea to run this by a CPA

Old 03-19-2009, 11:04 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/02/2006
Chargeability
:
Albania
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/20/2007
Compare
gman is on a distinguished road

That's just like any other transactions. There is no sales tax for real este transactions. There maybe long or short term gains depending on how the house was acquired. Once you are filing as a permanent resident for tax reasons, EAD, AP, H1 etc, do not matter. Bottom line you pay taxes on income (whether short term or long term gain and other rule) and it has no bearing on the details of your legal status.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:06 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Sep-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/20/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/28/2007
Compare
YesGC_NoGC is a splendid one to behold YesGC_NoGC is a splendid one to behold YesGC_NoGC is a splendid one to behold YesGC_NoGC is a splendid one to behold YesGC_NoGC is a splendid one to behold YesGC_NoGC is a splendid one to behold

There are no TAX on selling price as long as you stayed in the house for 2 year , you can exclude up to $250,000 ($500,000 for a married couple)

If you meet the two-year ownership and use tests for a principal residence, and don't sell more than one principal residence in any two-year period, you can exclude any capital gain tax on the sale - up to the $250,000 or $500,000

When you close your sale, your real state lawer will pay to your bank, your real estate agent, your reality transfer fee and other misc fee like Attorney fee etc.

I have sold 2 houses in last 7 years and no real estate lawyer ever asked for 10% tax!!!

More over are you making any money on the property sale now a days?!

FED allows

Quote:
Originally Posted by EkAurAaya View Post

PD- Sept 2002
I-140 - Nov 2005
485 filed- June 29th
Notice date First week of Aug
EAD approved - Mid Aug
FP Done in Late Aug
AP Approved

Old 03-19-2009, 11:23 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/20/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/21/2007
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by YesGC_NoGC View Post
There are no TAX on selling price as long as you stayed in the house for 2 year , you can exclude up to $250,000 ($500,000 for a married couple)

If you meet the two-year ownership and use tests for a principal residence, and don't sell more than one principal residence in any two-year period, you can exclude any capital gain tax on the sale - up to the $250,000 or $500,000

When you close your sale, your real state lawer will pay to your bank, your real estate agent, your reality transfer fee and other misc fee like Attorney fee etc.

I have sold 2 houses in last 7 years and no real estate lawyer ever asked for 10% tax!!!

More over are you making any money on the property sale now a days?!

FED allows
Thanks for confirming! No i m not looking to sell in this market (although if i have to sell i will still break even) i have a rental property that i was thinking of selling early last year and the lawyer mentioned this to me... so i wanted to confirm!

Old 03-20-2009, 04:13 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
induk is on a distinguished road

if you are foreign national selling a house, 10 % of your sale price may be held in escrow account till you pay the taxes. This is the case in atleast some states. This is what your real estate lawyer might be referring to. The rest 10 % is released after you have shown proof that you have paid your taxes.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:50 AM
Priority Date
:
Nov-03
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
vpa_2009 will become famous soon enough
Default Sold my house on H1 in 2007

I sold the house on H1 and there was nothing addition for H1 holder. It is just that if you have that property for less than 2 years then you pay tax.

Just thinking if the new law for GC approved like buy a house and get
GC then what will happen for those like us who have house since 2004 and sold one and bought another in that time period.
I am on EAD now. PD -Nov 2003

Old 03-20-2009, 11:04 AM
Priority Date
:
Feb-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/20/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
solaris27 is infamous around these parts solaris27 is infamous around these parts solaris27 is infamous around these parts solaris27 is infamous around these parts
Default no diffrence

no diffrence in selling a house on H1b or EAD

Old 03-20-2009, 11:12 AM
Priority Date
:
Feb-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/20/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/21/2007
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by induk View Post
if you are foreign national selling a house, 10 % of your sale price may be held in escrow account till you pay the taxes. This is the case in atleast some states. This is what your real estate lawyer might be referring to. The rest 10 % is released after you have shown proof that you have paid your taxes.
Thanks for your response... do you know what states by any chance?

Old 03-20-2009, 11:14 AM
Priority Date
:
Feb-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/20/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/21/2007
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpa_2009 View Post
I sold the house on H1 and there was nothing addition for H1 holder. It is just that if you have that property for less than 2 years then you pay tax.

Just thinking if the new law for GC approved like buy a house and get
GC then what will happen for those like us who have house since 2004 and sold one and bought another in that time period.
I am on EAD now. PD -Nov 2003
Can you please share what state? Thanks

Old 03-20-2009, 11:26 AM
Priority Date
:
Feb-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/20/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/21/2007
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by induk View Post
Thanks you pointed me in the right direction... very interesting its called FIRPTA

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/...105000,00.html

Anyone investing in Real estate should read this