Canada Non Immigration Visas

From Immigration Wiki

Jump to: navigation, search
Canada Home | Immigration | Visas | Citizenship | FAQs | Wiki Cheat sheet | WikiHome | IV Home| Privacy Policy



Canada is a land of opportunity and abounds with economic prosperity, sound and affordable education options, world renown health care and retirement schemes, an abundance of land, clean air and fresh water supplies, all providing for a safe and secure environment.

Canada welcomes you as a tourist, student or temporary worker. Depending on where you live, and the reason for your visit, you will need to meet certain entry requirements. In some cases, if you plan to stay in Canada for a certain period of time, you will need a Temporary Resident Visa.

There are two different types of visas.

1. Non-Immigrant Visas: For visit, Temperory work and study.

2. Immigrant Visas: For high skilled professionals and individuals with family member(s) living in Canada

Visa Types: The Non-Immigrant Visas

An individual interested in visiting for the temperory period to Canada may do so based on:

  1. Visit
  2. Work Temporarily
  3. Study

Visiting Canada

Individuals visiting Canada will need the sponsorship from the immediate family member residing in Canada or their financial assets.

1. Obtain a Temporary Resident Visa application package:at

2. Read the guide: Read the guide carefully before you complete the application form. The fee for processing your form is not refundable, so make sure you are eligible to get a Temporary Resident Visa before you apply.

3. Complete the application form and attach the necessary documents

Note: You can use the same application form for your spouse or common-law partner, and for dependent children under 18 if they will be travelling with you.

All required documents must be included with your application:

(a). You must have a valid travel document (such as a passport) for each family member on the application. (b). Two recent passport photos of each family member are required. Make sure these photos meet the requirements. For more information on specifications for photographs, see the Related Links section at the bottom of this page. (c). Enclose the application fee and the IMM 5401 receipt of payment. Your fee will not be refunded, even if your application is not accepted. (d). You must provide proof that you have enough money for your visit to Canada. The amount of money may vary, depending on the circumstances for your visit, how long you will stay and whether you will stay in a hotel, or with friends or relatives. You can get more information from the Canadian visa office in your country or region. (e). You may need to include other documents. These documents could be identification cards, proof of employment, a letter of invitation from relatives or friends in Canada, or a proposed itinerary. Check the website of the visa office responsible for the country or region where you live for more information.

4. Pay the fee and get the necessary receipt: The fee per person is $75 for a single entry visa, $150 for a multiple entry visa or $400 for a family (multiple or single entry). Check the website of the visa office responsible for the country or region where you live for more information on fees, including how to pay them.

5. Mail the application form and necessary documents: When you have completed the application form, make sure you sign and date it, and that all required documents and fees are included in the envelope. In most countries, application fees must be paid in Canadian dollars. You must send your application to the Canadian visa office in the country or region where you live. Check the guide in your application package for instructions.

Working temporarily in Canada

Individuals visiting canada on work visa will need a written job offer from the employer.

1. Obtain an application package at

2. Determine where you will submit your application: You must submit your application to the visa office responsible for the country or region where you live. You must have legal status in your country of residence. For a list of visa offices, go to Find a CIC office in the I Need To… section on the right-hand side of this page.

3. Determine if you need a passport and a temporary resident visa. If you want to work in Canada, you must meet the requirements for a work permit. You must also meet the general requirements for entering Canada. This means that you might also need a passport and a temporary resident visa.

A temporary resident visa is an official document that is placed in your passport. To find out if you need a visa to enter Canada, see the Visit section on the left-hand side of this page.

If you require a temporary resident visa, you do not have to apply for it separately or pay a separate fee. If your work permit is approved, the visa will be issued at the same time as the documentation you need to enter Canada as a worker.

If you are a citizen or a permanent resident of the United States, Greenland or Saint-Pierre-et-Miquelon, you do not need a passport or a temporary resident visa to enter Canada. You must, however, provide proof of citizenship or permanent residence, such as a national identity card or an alien registration card.

4. Pay the correct processing fee: There is a fee for applying for a work permit.

5. Submit the application form.

Studying in Canada

More than 130,000 students come to study in Canada every year and even more come to Canada to learn English or French.

To be eligible to study in Canada you must be accepted by a school, college, university or other educational institution in Canada. You must prove that you have enough money to pay for your: tuition fees, living expenses for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada and return transportation for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada.

There are 8 steps to apply for a study permit:

1. Obtain and print the application package at

2. Determine where you will submit your application: You must submit your application to the visa office that is responsible for the country or region where you live.

3. Collect the documents you need to apply.

4. If studying in Quebec, check the provincial guidelines: This step only applies if you want to study in the province of Quebec.

5. Complete your application for a study permit. Fill in the forms carefully and completely.

6. Pay the correct processing fee.

7. Check your application.

8. Submit the application form.


One do not need any lawyer or Immigration consultant to file for non-immigrant visa. Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) has posted detailed information about the ways to migrate to Canada on its website. Visit

Personal tools

Copyright © 2005 - 2009