From Immigration Wiki

Jump to: navigation, search
US Home | Wiki Help | IV Home | All Countries |



The most common non immigrant visa is the multiple-purpose B-1/B-2 visa, also known as the "visa for temporary visitors for business or pleasure." Visa applicants sometimes receive either a B-1 (temporary visitor for business) or a B-2 (temporary visitor for pleasure) visa, if their reason for travel is specific enough that the consular officer does not feel they qualify for B-1/B-2 status.


This is how the consulate defines the qualification for the visitor visa grant:

"Applicants for visitor visas must show that they qualify under provisions of the Immigration and Nationality Act. The presumption in the law is that every visitor visa applicant is an intending immigrant.

Therefore, applicants for visitor visas must overcome this presumption by demonstrating that:

  1. The purpose of their trip is to enter the U.S. for business, pleasure, or medical treatment.
  2. That they plan to remain for a specific, limited period.
  3. That they have a residence outside the U.S. as well as other binding ties which will insure their return abroad at the end of the visit.

All visitor visa applicants require to be interviewed at a US Consulate, before being granted a visa. Applicants need to appear in person for the Interview at a US consulate. A prior appointment is must for this purpose.


1. Sponsored Trip: If applicant's has child or relatives lies in USA, they can sponsor the visa for the applicant.

Sponsor: Any US based person can sponsor visa for his/her parents, relatives, friends.

Liabilities of sponsor: Sponsor needs to provide affidavit of support form stating and assuring to take the liabilities of expenses required for applicant’s trip.

Other then this they also need to provide some other documents required to support their claim as sponsor.

Sponsoring does not guarantee the visa grant. Individual applying for visa must meet the criteria, set for US visitor visa.

2. Self Sponsored: You can be a self sponsor for your trip. You must have sufficient funds and proof of financial capability that can justify your trip expenses.


Documents required for inviting someone on Visitor Visa:

To invite your parents, friends, or any other relative to USA, you (the sponsor) need to provide them with a few documents, which are required in order to get the visitor visa approval by the USA consulate.

Sponsor in USA needs to send:

  1. Send a completed and sign Affidavit of Support form I-134. You can download it from USCIS web site. NOTE : No need to notarize the new I34, as per the new form instruction provided by the USCIS - updated DEC 22 2008. Form I-134 - Instructions
  2. A letter from Bank/banks (on their business letter head), stating your account summary. (Talk to your bank and ask for your Account Verification letter. Which is usually on the bank's office stationary and should have the Date of Account Opened and Current Balance)
  3. Copy of your Bank Statement, showing a good balance in order to justify your financial position.
  4. Certificate Letter from your employer (on company's business letter head), stating that you are a permanent employee of the company, and also stating your salary.
  5. 1 or 2 recent pay stub copies.
  6. Copy of a few recent income tax returns or last few W2 forms.
  7. If you are self employed or business owner, copy of your personal tax return.
  8. If you are a Visa holder Copies of your - Visa (H1/L1), H1 Approval Form (I-797), and I-94. (If visa has expired but has a renewed petition, a photocopy of the renewed petition.)
  9. If Green Card Holder: Copy of Green Card front and back.
  10. If USA citizen: Copy of certificate of citizenship. A neat photocopy of your complete Passport, including even the blank pages. Note: If you are sponsoring your in-laws, photocopies of all pages including blank pages of your spouse's passport and your marriage certificate is also required.
  11. If sponsoring your parents, original birth certificate of the sponsor child (son or daughter) is required.
  12. If you are inviting your in-laws, then spouse's birth certificate is required not yours.
  13. An application/letter from you to the US consulate in India (address it to the particular consulate e.g. Delhi), requesting for issuing a visitor visa to the concerned person, stating that you will be taking care of every requirement for these people, including tickets, boarding and other expenses in USA.
  14. A formal invitation letter addressed to the person(s) you are inviting to US. Also stating that you will be taking care of all their needs while in US, including tickets, boarding and other expenses in here.

How to Sponsor Documents

Check list before interview
Sample invitation letter

Visitor Documents

Interview Tips

Refusal/Reapplication process

How to Extend Visitor Visa

Once visitor visa extension is rejected case may be subject to 222(g).Here is experience form one of member on forum. Reentry on B2 visa while previous extension was rejected.

Medical Insurance

  1. It is important that medical insurance be purchased for your relatives before entering US. Previously, TATA-AIG combination was good but after AIG going under, it is not clear which service to go for.

Copyright © 2005 - 2009